Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Preparing for 1st grade : /

Peyton has not even started school yet and we are already climbing a up hill battle. All of these evaluations in my opioion are ridiculous! How many people from the Area Education Agency have to come and give their opinions before we can just get the darn IEP written to be prepared for fall?!?! For those for you who don't know a IEP stands for Individual Education Plan. This is where everyone comes together to fit all of a child's needs into their schooling. Sounds easy right? Has not been so far. We have a final meeting on may 9th and depending on what they have to say, Jason and I will determine weather or not it is best to just homeschool Peyton or not. I would like him to go to school and make friends and have that experience, but I refuse to let them put my son in a category he is not in. I will not stand for that! Basically long story short is they have done no cognitive testing on Peyton( he is having that done in June in Ia City), so without even knowing where he is cognitively ( which is a normal 6 year old) the AEA tried telling me that due to his extreme physical needs he must have educational issues as well. Since when does a physicslly handicapped child have mental issues as well? In some cases yes, but not all! I was not only upset but just beside myself. Now if Peyton had a learning problem then I would be 100% on board for anything to help him adapt. But for anyone who really knows Peyton....knows this is just not the case. This is a child who by the time he was two could recognize every single one of his letters and numbers. He has been spelling since he was 3 1/2. He never had a single issue in preschool with learning. And i know that the cause for concern does not stem from his disease and the cognitive changes that can appear because none of them even know what it is nor have they bothered to look it up I'm sure. One of them thought he had Musculardystrophy. Not even close to the same thing. ( not that it isnt terrible too) This is all just so frustrating and the more I think about it, the more I get upset! If any of you parents out there have had similar situations and can offer any advice, I would greatly appreciate it! No matter what Jason and I will do what it absolutely best for Peyton. With hope and love Jess

No comments:

Post a Comment